Our dried mushrooms pack a ton of flavour and are loaded with nutrients. Dried mushrooms are high in dietary fibre and are valuable sources of vitamins such as retinol, thiamine, riboflavin, pyridoxine, and niacin.
I came up with this simple and delicious recipe for gravy using dried mushrooms. It's fast and simple to make, and is now in regular rotation at our house. It's a great complement to meatballs, meatloaf, roasted chicken, turkey, mashed potatoes or sauteed veggies.
This year we will serve it alongside our family's traditional Tourtiere on Christmas Eve.
We hope you enjoy it!
- ¼ cup (a large handful) of our dried mushroom medley (The medley is a mix of oyster, cinnamon cap and shiitake varieties)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced quite fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- Salt & pepper
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- Place dried mushrooms in a glass bowl or large measuring cup and cover with 2 cups of boiling water. Leave to soak for 15-30 minutes.
- In a saucepan or deep frying pan with some oil, sautee the onions over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper. Stir until onions and garlic begin to brown. You want the onions and garlic to be well cooked but not burnt to add depth to the flavour of the gravy.
- Remove the soaked mushrooms from the water and chop quite small. Reserve the water in the bowl for later use.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and sautee, stirring frequently. Add the thyme and a bit more salt & pepper.
- When mushrooms begin to stick to the pan, add the red wine and stir to deglaze. Continue stirring until the wine is evaporated.
- Add the butter and flour to the pan and stir to coat the mushroom mixture. Continue to stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the mushroom broth that is left from soaking the mushrooms. Stir and bring to a simmer, allowing the liquid to thicken.
- If it gets too thick, continue adding water a little at a time until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve immediately and enjoy over meat, potatoes, veggies or all three!